Theater council to transform stage into haunted forest

Inspired by the forest set used in their production of “As You Like It,” members of the SHU Theater Council will be staging a haunted house and a night of Halloween- themed activities that President Tia Robbins said will bring fright and fun for attendees. The “Halloween Late-Nighter” co-sponsored by the Student Activities Board (SAB) will be held in the Theater-in-the-Round on Oct. 31 from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. The haunted house, open from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m., will be the main attraction to a night of games, activities and a screening of “The Exorcist”. [caption id="attachment_20346" align="aligncenter" width="838"] The theater council will turn the Theater-in-the-Round into Slender Man’s terrifying forest.
Adrian Chavez/Staff Photographer[/caption] Robbins, a junior theater performance and vocal performance major, explained that holding this haunted house is important because live theater gives participants an opportunity to be themselves. Samantha Dyar, vice president of the Theater Council and a sophomore theater major, also highlighted the aspect of live theater. She said that even though there were challenges in coming up with a backstory for the haunted house and Robbins cited initial troubles getting volunteers the event is important for both attendees and actors. “It’s important because it’s people pouring their heart out for you on a stage,” Dyar said. “Theatre takes so much effort and people supporting it helps keep it alive.” Dyar added that students who visit the haunted house “can expect some skin-crawling terror” as the forest set design will bring their “Slender Man” theme to life. Jocelyn Rogalo, a junior visual and sound production major, said the event has an interesting concept but the idea of a haunted house generally frightens her. “Scary things are not my forte,” she said. “I am going to tell my friends, though. They’re always saying that they want to go to a haunted house but they’re expensive and far away.” This haunted house will be the second that the Theater Council has staged and the event is student-run, from story creation to lighting and sound. Dyar said that the fact that the haunted house is run by students and the night’s activities makes it unique from other Halloween events. Noelle Corbett, a senior theater major, agreed that the event is unique because it involves students in various majors working together. “This event is unique because it is an opportunity for those outside of the theatre department and Theatre Council to get a taste of what the department has to offer,” she said. The “Halloween Late-Nighter” is free for students to attend. Julie Trien can be reached at julie.trien@student.shu.edu. Claudia Emanuele, a staff writer for The Setonian and social media chair of the Theater Council, contributed to this story.