Seton Hall gets four-set win at Providence

Haylee Gasser led the Pirates with a career-high 13 kills, while Dominque Mason registered her third straight double-double to lead the Seton Hall women’s volleyball team to a three set to one victory over Providence, on Friday night, in Providence, R.I. The win cements a season sweep for the Pirates of their Big East counterpart in Rhode Island, and improves their record to 7-3 within the Big East. [caption id="attachment_20271" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] The Hall started quickly, dominating in the first set. At first clinging to a 13-12 lead, the Pirates went on a 10-1 run that put them up 23-13. Blocks by Gasser and Caitlin Koska ended the set, 25-17 in favor of the Pirates. Seton Hall attacked in the opening set at their best, as they converted on 30 percent of their attacks. After a disappointing start in the first set, the Friars would make it difficult for the Pirates in the second. Following a Gasser kill that put the Pirates up 1-0, the Friars went on an 8-0 run. After that the Pirates never got within six for the remainder of the set. The Friars won set two 25-16, attacking at over 51 percent, the best set efficiency among either team throughout the match. The two teams engaged in a heated third set that included four lead changes and 12 ties. Coming out of a timeout and trailing by four, the Pirates went on a 9-1 run to put them ahead 14-10. Providence fired back, though, with a run of their own and took a 22-20 lead. Down but not out, the Pirates tied the set at 22, before staving off defeat at 24-23 and 25-24. After tying the set at 26, the Pirates reached set point won with blocks from Gasser and Sharay Barnes, before a Mason kill which ended the set and put the Hall up 2-1. After a back and forth struggle in the third set, the Pirates took an early lead in the fourth and never looked back. Seton Hall steadily grew their lead throughout the set, grabbing their largest lead of the night at 21-9. Up 23-13, kills by Mason and Madison Salkowski clinched the fourth set for the Pirates 25-13, ending the match 3-1 in favor of the Pirates. The Pirates are next in action this Sunday in Omaha, as they take on the Bluejays of Creighton University at 2 p.m. EST. Connor Hester can be reached at connor.hester@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @connor_hester31.