Women’s volleyball falls in full match to Princeton

After a promising start to the season, the Seton Hall volleyball team fell at Priceton in five sets on Wednesday to drop to 4-2 on the season. Following much back and forth action to start the first set, the teams were tied at 11 points. The Hall then rattled off six straight points to give them a 17-11 lead and put the Pirates in the driver’s seat, where they would remain to take the first set 25-16. [caption id="attachment_19393" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Sharay Barnes led the team in the first set with four kills and finished with 14 for the match. Princeton jumped out to an early 10-6 lead in the second set, but Seton Hall came storming back. The team battled to cut the lead to one before finally dropping the hard-fought set 25-23. The third set was rough for the Pirates as Princeton took an 11-7 lead and didn’t look back, winning 25-14. Similar to the first set, the two teams traded points back and forth to tie the game at 12 points. In a must-win set, Abby Thelen stepped up for the Hall, finishing the set with six kills to help propel Seton Hall to a 25-21 victory to even the match at two sets. Thelen finished the match with a team-high 15 kills to go along with 11 digs. Considering how tight the first four sets played out, it was only fitting the fifth and final set follow suit. In an intense and competitive set, Princeton came out on top 15-12 to take three out of five sets from Seton Hall. Along with Barnes and Thelen, Caitlin Koska and Sarah Kenneweg also played well for the Hall with 11 kills and 27 digs, respectively. The Pirates will travel to Illinois State this weekend to take part in the Redbird Classic, where they will take on the likes of Cincinnati, Dayton and host team Illinois State. The first of these games is set for Friday at 5 p.m. against Cincinnati. Nick Santoriello can be reached at nicholas.santoriello@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @NickSantoriello.