Seton Hall volleyball overcome in straight sets by Hofstra

The Seton Hall volleyball team fell to 6-4 on the year after losing to the Hofstra Lions in straight sets at home on Tuesday night. The first set of Tuesday’s match played out evenly between the two teams. Seton Hall held the lead at one point, 16-14, and in total, the Pirates and Lions were tied on nine points throughout the set. Hofstra would break the pattern of deadlocks though, taking the lead with the set at 20-all and never looking back on their way to a 25-23 set win. From that point forward, Seton Hall was overwhelmed by Hofstra’s fast paced, relentless play. In the second set, Hofstra came from behind, using an 11-2 run halfway through the set to turn things around so commandingly that The Hall could not respond. The Pirates gave up the second, 25-18, and the Lions used the two set cushion to their advantage, sealing the deal in the third. Hofstra preserved the lead through the entire third set. At one point, Seton Hall came within four points of Hofstra’s lead, but the Lions kept the Pirates at arm’s length before taking the set, 25-20. Despite the three set shutout, Abby Thelen and Sharay Barnes continued to put up big numbers on the frontline. Thelen had a team-high 12 kills, while Barnes was not far behind with 11 kills to help pace the Pirate offense. The Pirates will return to the road this Friday as they travel to face an 8-1 Northwestern team at the VCU Invitational in Richmond, Va. Bob Towey can be reached at Bob.Towey@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @BobTowey5