Freshmen to be chosen for Servant Leader Scholarship Program

The Sixth Annual Servant Leadership Day will be held on Thursday, April 20 at 4:15 p.m. in the Chancellor’s Suite. Francia Peterson, administrative assistant for the Center for Vocation and Servant Leadership, shared information about the Servant Leaders Scholars program and Servant Leadership Day. [caption id="attachment_18798" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Seton Hall students traveled to El Salvador on a mission trip over winter break. Evelyn Peregrin/Asst. Campus Life Editor.[/caption] “The purpose of the day is to encourage Servant Leadership among the Servant Leader Scholars and all the members of the University community,” Peterson said. “Having an inspirational speaker helps to accomplish this goal.” The speaker this year is Fr. Brian Kolodiejchuk, MC, worldwide head of the Missionaries of Charity, which is an order of priests and brothers started by St. Teresa of Calcutta, she said. Ten freshmen are chosen each year to become a part of the Servant Leader Scholarship Program, Peterson said. “The students are supposed to do 20 hours of service per semester, either through the Seton Hall Community or outside of it. Servant Leadership Day allows the leadership skills that they have developed to be celebrated.” Luisa Rinaudo, a sophomore pursuing the speech pathology 4+2 program and liberal studies with a minor in English, provided insight about being a Servant Leader Scholar. “When we all come together at our meetings we always have speakers, of all walks of life and professions that are intriguing and dedicated to discussing the meaning of leadership with us. A lot of what I do is work with people in the special needs community,” Rinaudo said in an email interview. After belonging to the Servant Leader program, Rinaudo said she decided to begin a sports program for people with special needs at SHU called RallyCap Sports. “I believe that by bringing this program to SHU, Seton Hall students can find a way to share kindness, compassion, and love by giving their time to those in the local special needs community.” Daniele Mallia, a third-year graduate occupational therapy student, shared her experiences in being a Servant Leader Scholar since her freshman year as an undergraduate. “Being a Servant Leader Scholar, for the past six years, has opened many doors for me,” Mallia said. She began volunteering through the Division of Volunteer Efforts (DOVE) and went to the College of Arts and Sciences Servant Leadership Trips to Jamaica and Ireland. “Currently, I am a member of New York Cares and serving the communities in Staten Island and Brooklyn,” she said. Kaitlin Quinn can be reached at kaitlin.quinn@student.shu.edu.