South Orange businesses seek to employ Pirates

One Student Government Association (SGA) member has been creating a list of job openings in South Orange for Seton Hall students. Ravi Shah, a junior political science major and at-large senator, has been working since last November to compile a list of several local businesses looking to hire SHU students. [caption id="attachment_17496" align="aligncenter" width="838"] South Orange is full of job opportunities for students, according to a list compiled by SGA. Katherine Boland/Staff Photographer.[/caption] This initiative was brought to Shah’s attention by his fellow senator in SGA, Kristin Donadio. A senior nursing major, Donadio had heard of many students looking for work close to campus. “We found that there are not many (jobs) listed on the Navigator so Sen. Donadio made phone calls and visited local business to find job openings for Seton Hall Students,” Shah said via email. Donadio said that she wanted to strengthen Seton Hall’s relationship with local businesses so she spent a few days over her winter break calling various places in the downtown area and got a list of 10 establishments looking to hire from Seton Hall and their contact information. She said in an email interview, “During my phone calls, all local businesses that expressed they are hiring were pleasantly receptive and open to hiring students.” This service is not a database in the way that Navigator is, Shah said. It is a flyer that students can pick up in the Career Center or download online off of the Navigator website. Navigator is an online database that catalogues open positions for students interested in internships and jobs. Some students feel this service could be an efficient and stress reducing method to finding part-time work. Kristina Dauernheim, a junior biology major, said, “ I think that providing students with an easier way to see who’s hiring in South Orange will take away one of the difficult parts in finding a job.” Erica Naumann, a senior public relations major, agreed that this list would be beneficial to the student body. She said, “I would prefer to have a list of prospective employers. I like to see what they are looking for and what I can offer them prior to any other interviews or meetings.” However, one student felt differently. Lanie Benton, a senior education major, holds a receptionist position at Mark Murphy’s Music LLC in South Orange. Benton said she felt that using Navigator and her own skills was enough to land a good position. Benton said, “it would have been nice, everything in one place but I would probably still look outside the list.” Due to their close relationship with the Career Center, Shah and Donadio ask that if a student gets a job that is listed in the flyer or if they are seeking other part-time employment to please contact the Career Center. Brynne Connolly can be reached at brynne.connolly@student.shu.edu.