Friends and family continue to mourn death of Seton Hall student

[caption id="attachment_17103" align="aligncenter" width="791"] Photo via Facebook/Javaughni Ashley[/caption] Family, friends and the Seton Hall community continue to mourn the loss of sophomore pre-business student Javaughni Ashley. As previously reported on by The Setonian, Ashley was found dead in his apartment in Orange, N.J., on Dec. 18. Katherine Carter, a spokeswoman for the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office, said that the results of Ashley’s toxicology report had not come back as of Thursday, Jan. 12, so his cause of death has not been determined yet. However, Carter said that Ashley’s death does not appear to be a homicide. Ashley’s childhood friend Brian Chacon spoke about Ashley at the funeral services at Island Memorial Funeral Home in East Orange, N.J., on Friday, Jan. 6. Chacon said that he didn’t know how to react to seeing Ashley at the funeral, describing the experience as “tough,” yet “finalizing.” He had prepared a speech but decided to wing it last minute, speaking from the heart. While Chacon said that he “goofed up a bit,” he gave a three-minute-long speech reflecting back on Ashley’s early life. “[Ashley] was supportive of everyone else, even when some people weren’t supportive of him,” Chacon said. Chacon said that placing a rose on Ashley’s coffin at the end of the funeral services brought him “a feeling of grace that [Ashley] was finally in a better place.” “He’s always going to be a light wherever we are,” Chacon said. Brianna Bernath can be reached at brianna.bernath@student.shu.