SHU Greek Life continues to grow with new fraternity in the spring

[caption id="attachment_16396" align="aligncenter" width="1000"]Phi Delta Theta will be Seton Hall’s seventh Interfraternity Council (IFC) fraternity in a continuing effort to expand SHU’s Greek community. Graphic via phideltatheta.org Phi Delta Theta will be Seton Hall’s seventh Interfraternity Council (IFC) fraternity in a continuing effort to expand SHU’s Greek community. Graphic via phideltatheta.org[/caption] Phi Delta Theta will be Seton Hall’s newest fraternity this coming spring. Phi Delta Theta follows the colonization of Pi Kappa Phi, which took place last fall. Assistant Director of Leadership Development (Greek Liaison), Michael Davis, offered insight on why a new fraternity would be colonizing at SHU now, despite the creation of a new fraternity just last year. He said that making the decision to colonize a new Greek organization is a process and that student interest is the No. 1 priority. Davis mentioned he and other committee members of the Seton Hall Greek Life Committee determine whether the student body would be receptive to having a new fraternity or sorority on campus. He said that Phi Delta Theta’s arrival to Seton Hall was something that had been planned by the Interfraternity Council (IFC) before he became liaison last year. He says at universities students voice their wishes to have new sororities and fraternities come to campus through polls conducted and this is what the Seton Hall Greek Life Committee did in regards to the creation of Phi Delta Theta. Davis predicts that Greek life will expand around 25 percent by the time of formal recruitment this spring. Pi Kappa Phi President, Ravi Shah, a junior political science and philosophy major, said establishing “unity in what the chapter wants to stand for” may be challenging for a new chapter. To solve this issue, Shah said, members should actively participate in the chapter and keep in mind their opinion of the chapter rather than what others have to say. “Work together to create your own identity,” Shah advised, “and I guarantee this will come naturally through the brotherhood you establish with each other.” Kaitlyn Quinn can be reached at kaitlyn.quinn@student.shu.edu.