Second OT goal from McGovern gives women's soccer win over Albany

[caption id="attachment_14985" align="aligncenter" width="568"]Photo via SHU Athletics Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Siobhan McGovern has played just six regular season games in her young Seton Hall career, but Thursday night’s 2-1 win over Albany marked her second golden goal winner for the Pirates (3-3-0), as she scored in the 93rd minute to seal a 2-1 victory for the Pirates. With the win, Seton Hall snapped a two game losing streak after not scoring a goal against Fordham or Monmouth in its last two matches. The Pirates ended that shutout streak, finding the back of the net twice in the last 16 minutes of the game. After a scoreless first half, Albany scored the first goal of the game in the 47th minute. Alexa Schneider converted on a cross off of a corner kick from Caroline Kopp, heading in the ball just underneath the crossbar. Despite generating most of the offense resulting in the win, the Pirates were unable to find the back of the net until the 77th minute. Junior Lauren Hall scored her first career goal off a cross by Sarah Cortes, her sixth career assist. After the late equalizer from Hall, the Pirates needed less than three minutes to end the game. Continued pressure led to a corner kick, which was sent in by captain Frankie Maier. McGovern fought through traffic and headed the ball inside the right post for her second career goal, both overtime winners. The Pirates finished with a commanding 14-7 lead in shots, and a 6-2 advantage in shots on goal. Maier led all players with four shots, while Hall had a career-high three. Meanwhile, Goalie Anna MacLean only had to make one save on the night. Maier is tied for the team lead with two assists and leads The Hall with six points. The Pirates' next game will be Thursday, Sept. 15, when they will take on Cornell in Albany, N.Y., at 7 p.m. Bobby Bevilacqua can be reached at robert.bevilacqua@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @rpb725.