A new perspective: Diversity in the Student Government Association

[caption id="attachment_15025" align="aligncenter" width="300"]1baosneh Photo via Twitter/@SetonHallSGA[/caption] This year, the Student Government Association (SGA) represents the views of the student body through a diversified Senate. By reflecting the varying backgrounds on campus, SGA hopes to ensure that every voice is heard. Many colleges in New Jersey, including Princeton, Rutgers and The College of New Jersey, have become more concerned with diversifying Senates. Seton Hall has been a pioneer in this ongoing effort. Regarding diversity in SGA, Zachariah Boyer, a senior political science major, believes everyone is well represented. “We have a majority of women in leadership roles, a large number of minority individuals hold both E-board and Chair positions, and, besides race and gender, the makeup of SGA consists of many out of state students, some first generation college students, life-long New Jersey residents, and even English as second language learners,” Boyer said. Boyer holds the position of Parliamentarian and Arts and Sciences senator for SGA. By electing female officers, and ensuring that minority groups are properly represented, this year’s SGA officials are committed to reflecting the various perspectives that make up the Seton Hall student body. Due to the ongoing efforts to include everyone in the improvement of life on campus, SGA has become a unifying force throughout the SHU community. Teagan Sebba, a senior political science major, is the current SGA President. Sebba’s primary focuses for this year include a Women in Leadership initiative, a 24-hour study space for students and an emphasis on student voting. “My personal initiative is getting every student registered to vote and voting in the upcoming Presidential election,” she said. For the second year, Seton Hall is partnering with TurboVote to make registering to vote easier for students. Zachary Wohl can be reached at zachary.wohl@student.shu.edu.