Men's soccer teams falls in home opener

[caption id="attachment_14823" align="aligncenter" width="624"] Photo Courtesy of SHU Athletics[/caption] After collecting its first regular season win in over a year Friday, Seton Hall men’s soccer (1-1-0) dropped its 2016 home opener Sunday night, losing 2-0 to Stony Brook University (1-1-0). The action started early, as the Seawolves reached the back of the net after Serge Gamwanya put a shot past the Pirates in the seventh minute. SHU quickly put the pressure on SBU with two of their own goal opportunities in the 17th and 22nd minutes, but to no avail. Pirate freshman Jonathan Jimenez placed a quality header on net during a corner kick and defenseman Shawn Morrison struck a shot on net, but both were denied by Stony Brook keeper Tom McMahon. The Pirates continued to fight back during the first 45 minutes when redshirt senior Danny Bartok and junior Patrick Burd both put potential goal opportunities on net. McMahon denied all seven Pirate shots. Even with Seton Hall entering halftime down just 8-7 in the shots column, Stony Brook goalkeeping proved dominant. Seton Hall gave up the only other goal in the 54th minute, when Seawolf Eduardo Valle reached the back of the net. In its first two games, Seton Hall is out shooting opponents 26-20, but are not finding luck at the back of the net. The Pirates will be back in action when they hit the road on Friday against UMass Lowell. Kick-off is set for 7 p.m. Bryant McInerney can be reached by email at bryant.mcinerney@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @McinerneyBryant.