Freshman's OT goal gives SHU women's soccer first win

In only her second game as a Pirate, freshman Siobhan McGovern came up clutch. [caption id="attachment_14808" align="alignright" width="336"]Photo Courtesy of SHU Athletics Photo Courtesy of SHU Athletics[/caption] McGovern netted a goal in the 97th minute of a scoreless match against Army on Monday, giving the Pirates their first victory of their 2016 campaign. The score was the first of her collegiate career and was assisted by sophomore Tanika Roach. The assist was the first of her Pirates career. Seton Hall had many opportunities throughout the night to score in regular time, outshooting the Black Knights 13-10 and 7-3 in shots on goal. However, they were unable to capitalize in regulation and the game would go on to extra time. Roach’s pass left McGovern one-on-one with Army goalie Jordan Cassalia. Cassalia saved McGovern’s first attempted shot, but was unable to maintain control of the ball. This led to a rebound opportunity for McGovern, which she ultimately converted. The Seton Hall defense, led by sophomore goalie Anna MacLean, did its part to keep Army off the board. MacLean had three saves for the Pirates and notched her first shutout of the season and the second of her career. The Pirates will look to improve to 2-1-0 in their home opener against Quinnipiac on Monday, Aug. 29, at Owen T. Carroll field. Tyler Calvaruso can be contacted by email at tyler.calvaruso@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @tyler_calvaruso.