Dear freshmen: A letter from President Esteban

[caption id="attachment_14623" align="alignright" width="209"]Photo courtesy of SHU.edu Photo courtesy of SHU.edu[/caption] A very warm Pirate welcome to Seton Hall University! Whether you are a member of our freshman class of 2020 or a transfer student whose college journey has brought you to South Orange, I hope your time at Seton Hall is filled with exploration, growth, knowledge and spirituality. During your time at Seton Hall you will hear the terms Catholic values and servant leadership as they relate to our mission and goals. We refer to our community of students, professors, administrators and staff as family. We talk about the Seton Hall Community as if it is something special. That’s because it really is special. Over the past six years we have grown. We have become more selective. We are the university of choice for many of our majors. Thus, when I welcome you to the Seton Hall community, please know that one of the great benefits of a Seton Hall diploma is access to the ever-growing network of more than 90,000 alums -- alums who help each other and mentor the next generations of students. As you acclimate to your University, take advantage of the many support services we provide to ensure our students’ success. College is difficult. Our goal is to help you succeed. That’s why we provide support services for all our students. The Academic Resource Center provides tutoring and workshops to foster academic success. We have Supplemental Instruction for our hardest, gateway courses to make sure students understand difficult material. We recognize that sometimes students’ study habits don’t correspond to normal business hours so we provide tutors in residence halls for those late-night study emergencies. Our counseling center can help students adjust to college or deal with crises and anxiety. Our Career Center is not just for graduating seniors. I encourage all students, even first-semester freshmen, to acquaint themselves with the many ways the Career Center can position you well for a future career. You have chosen a special university, one where we celebrate our Catholic faith and our commitments to social justice and servant leadership. Take advantage of our Catholic ministry and its Division of Volunteer Efforts. Our new students perform more than 10,000 hours of community service during their first semester. For some, it opens the door to a lifetime of service. Finally, I ask that you be involved. Join a club or two. Get to know, not just your classmates, but, other members of the Univer sity Community. Take advantage of the activities we offer through different groups. Catch a game. Hop on a train or the bus, explore New York City or the Northeast. Welcome to your University. Go Pirates!