SHU Baseball beats local rival NJIT

[caption id="attachment_14481" align="aligncenter" width="660"]via SHU Athletics via SHU Athletics[/caption] Seton Hall baseball took yet another win in impressive fashion, besting NJIT 9-3 to improve its record to 34-18 on the season. The Pirates had quite the showing offensively, racking up an incredible and season-high 21 hits. Along with the offensive outbreak, the Pirates’ pitching staff limited NJIT to only three runs off five hits. Seton Hall’s offense took off in a big way. Seven of the nine starters had multiple hits and six of those seven had three hits. The offense was led right from the top of the order, with shortstop Chris Chiaradio setting the table going 3-6, while also contributing two RBI’s and a run. Third baseman Joe Poduslenko hit a triple that was the Pirates’ biggest hit of the day. The Pirates’ offensive outburst was almost entirely made up of singles, as only two doubles and one triple were hit. The Pirates had another solid showing on the mound as well. Senior right-hander Luke Cahill got the start, but only threw two innings of one-run ball. Coach Ron Sheppard made the decision to use as much of his staff as he could, using seven pitchers total. Matt Ardente and Dylan Verdonk also pitched two innings of shutout baseball each until the game was out of reach for NJIT. The Pirates will wrap up their season on the road with a three-game series against Big East foe Butler in Indianapolis, Ind., starting Thursday. The series will be crucial as the Pirates look to build momentum as the postseason approaches. Andrew Lombardo can by reached by email at Andrew.lombardo@student.shu.edu.