Women’s golf hoping to go back-to-back-to-back at Big East Tournament

[caption id="attachment_14209" align="alignnone" width="660"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption]

The Seton Hall Women’s Golf team will travel to Callawassie Island, S.C. on Friday, April 22 to compete in the 2016 Big East Tournament, where the Pirates have taken the last two championship trophies. However, this year has posed tough challenges for the Hall, including losing two seniors from last year’s championship-winning starting lineup, and dealing with new players and personalities on the team. With the season potentially coming to an end this weekend, senior Megan Tenhundfeld is looking to make the most of the opportunity that her and the Pirates have. “We’re definitely looking to bring it this weekend,” Tenhundfeld said. “This is the most important weekend of our season, and it’s the climax of our season, too. Having everyone show up on the same day with their game face on and ready to play is what we really need.” Both the fall and spring schedules have proved to be rocky for the Pirates, who have only two top-five finishes and finished in the bottom half of all other tournaments. Their highest finish, however, came this month at the Hoya Women’s Invitational. Seton Hall finished third out of nine. Tenhundfeld, fellow senior Karlie Zabrosky, and sophomore Cassie Pantelas all finished in the top 15 in individual scoring.
Zabrosky thinks that this team has what it takes to contend for the championship after examining what this year has been for the Pirates. “We’ve dealt with things in the fall that we weren’t really used to but I think we have made great strides so far in the spring,” Zabrosky said. Coach Sara Doell and her team believe they are “ready” for this weekend. She noted the growth she has seen in her team from fall to spring. “We had to put out a lot of fires in the fall and we let a lot of things pile up,” Doell said. “The girls went on a team trip without coaches over the winter, and that allowed for the girls to come into the spring and figure out what their roles are.”
Zabrosky and Tenhundfeld are two of the team’s three seniors, along with Mackenzie Cutter, and they certainly understand the implications of a third straight league championship, or their final collegiate tournament. “If we win it means our season isn’t over, and that’s in the back of our heads,” Tenhundfeld said. “But if it doesn’t turn out the way we’d like, it’s still our final hurrah for our entire collegiate career so I think that it’s extra special for the three of us.”
Doell believes that despite various challenges the team faced, they still have unfinished business to attend to. “It’s a tall order to win a Big East Championship three years in a row,” the Seton Hall coach said. “However I believe we can do that, but my expectation is that they are going to work their butts off this weekend, but also have a really good time. We’re going in hopeful, but we also know what we’re capable of.”
  Matt Lamb can be reached at matthew.lamb@student.shu.edu.