Tasty video treats prove to be as tasty as they look

[caption id="attachment_14143" align="alignnone" width="247"]Tasty's Facebook page Tasty's Facebook page[/caption] Scrolling through a Facebook or Instagram feed, you may stumble upon a video that shows you how to prepare a 60-second meal or dessert, and boy do they look... tasty. The Buzzfeed “Tasty” series is a channel that combines Pinterest pins and videos while cramming a whole food show into a short video. Who wouldn’t be inspired to cook? The appeal is to make it look as simple as possible for anyone to try. This Facebook cooking channel has over 30 million followers and videos regularly receive millions of reviews. Videos like the cheese stuffed pizza pretzel had 37 million views in about 24 hours, according to the “Tasty” page on Facebook. Students seem to like the “Tasty” videos because it allows for a quick yet delicious meal that does not take away from their busy day. Mackenzie Barnett, a junior criminal justice major, said she loves watching these short videos for cooking inspiration. Barnett said she has tried many of the videos, but her favorite has been the cheesy bacon egg cups. “These are really easy go to snacks. They taste great and are as easy to make as the video shows,” Barnett said. This 34-second video shows an egg cup made in 15 minutes from baking bread cut outs, cheese, cooked bacon, egg, and chives in a cupcake pan. This video has over 82 million views, 397 thousand likes and over 1 million shares. Buzzfeed also has dessert videos which are delicious and easy to recreate. Olivia Eubanks, a sophomore communications major, said she has tried the one-minute cupcake in a mug. Add melted butter, one large egg, milk, vanilla extract, granulated sugar, self-rising flour, and a pinch of salt to create the cupcake in a mug. “The cupcake was nice and warm. The icing melted in your mouth and it really took a short amount of time,” Eubanks said. Ayanna Jackson, a sophomore public relations major, and Stephanie Somar, a sophomore undecided, said they have seen plenty of the Buzzfeed “Tasty” videos, but have yet to try them. Somar said that if it weren’t for Snapchat’s Buzzfeed stream then she would have never knew about them. According to an online NY Magazine article, Buzzfeed began the idea in July of 2015 and since then has acquired over 50 million Facebook fans. The article also adds that the snacks provide the perfect hunger relief and can be great if you are on the go. Brooke Crawford can be reached at brooke.crawford@student.shu.edu.