Strunk, softball fall to in-state rival Rutgers on the road

[caption id="attachment_13966" align="alignnone" width="660"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption]   The Seton Hall softball team fell to Rutgers by a score of 6-2 on Wednesday night on the road. With this loss, the Pirates drop to 19-19. Senior infielder and catcher Alex Rabbetts and junior out-fielder Valerie Suto led the Pirates with two hits apiece, and Suto chipped in a run. Senior Yasmin Harrell notched a big hit for two-RBI in the fifth. On the mound for Seton Hall was freshman Madison Strunk, who gave up six runs on 11 hits while striking out two batters. The Scarlet Knights had the upper hand early, knocking in three runs in the first inning, including a three-run homer by sophomore Sierra Maddox that drove in senior Melanie Slowinski and sophomore Rebecca Hall. Rutgers followed this up with a run in both the second and fourth innings to increase the lead to 5-0.
Seton Hall then got on the board with Harrell’s big hit that drove in two runners, bringing SHU within three runs. This momentum was short-lived, as sophomore infielder Alexis Walkden grounded out on the next play, leaving Harrell stuck at second as the inning came to a close. Rutgers then managed one last run in the sixth on a double from Hall that drove in senior Stephanie Huang, who scored two runs, before the game’s end. At a record of exactly .500, Seton Hall will look to earn some key wins over the coming weeks when the team encounters conference rivals Villanova, Georgetown and Providence. The Pirates will hit the road again when they travel to Pennsylvania to take on the Wildcats in a three-game series. The first contest will start on Saturday, March 9 at 12 p.m.   Kyle Kasharian can be reached at kyle.kasharian@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @ItsKyleKash.