Pirates run wild on Villanova, win 13-8

[caption id="attachment_14222" align="aligncenter" width="570"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] The Seton Hall baseball team secured its second win of a three-game weekend series against Villanova on Saturday, 13-8. After falling 4-2 going into the bottom of the second, the Pirates composed themselves and came out with strong hitting and masterful base running, which resulted in the six runs. The momentum trickled into the third and fourth innings, where the Hall put up another four runs to boost its lead to 12-4. The Hall hit a dry spell after this, as the Wildcats chipped away at the lead by scoring two runs in both the fifth and sixth innings to cut the gap 12-8. Then the dry spell ended with a waterfall, as senior Mikael-Ali Mogues ripped a solo home run to right field to close out the Seton Hall win. More impressive than the hitting was the Derek Jenkins-inspired amount of stolen bases the Pirates amassed. The team tallied 11 in just the first three innings. “Jenks is great. We always love watching him run,” freshman Liam McArthur said. “It was awesome today that we could follow his lead and take a few bags.” Jenkins went 3-for-5 at the plate on top of two RBI and three stolen bases. Healthy contributions also came from fellow senior Zach Weigel, who scored three runs, had two RBI and edged out Jenkins with four stolen bases. McArthur notched three hits in four at bats to go along with a stolen base and an RBI. As the Pirates look to complete the sweep over conference rival Villanova, the nation’s leader in stolen bases reveals the key to a victory on Sunday. “We just have to come out right away, that’s the biggest thing. Get a quick three outs, and then get in here and hit the baseball as hard as we can” Jenkins said. “We gotta come out ready to go, right from the beginning.” Following the win, Seton Hall rises to 28-12 overall and 3-2 in conference play. The Pirates will look to finish the sweep against Villanova when they close the series at noon on Sunday, April 23. Kyle Kasharian can be reached at kyle.kasharian@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @ItsKyleKash.