Men’s golf tees up for the Big East tournament

[caption id="attachment_14258" align="alignnone" width="600"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption]   The Seton Hall men’s golf team will tee off May 1 through 3 in the Big East Championship. Cal- lawassie Island Club in Okatie, S.C., will be the site of this year’s tournament. If all goes well, the Pirates should be contenders, as they have both the top end golf- ers and the squad depth to carry them. The Pirates will be led by three of the top golfers in the Big East in freshman Gen Nagai, junior Lloyd Jefferson Go, and senior Ryan Snouffer. Head coach Clay White is looking forward to how his top golfers carry themselves into the postseason. “They just need to keep playing the way they have all spring. All three are having a great spring and great overall year, so if they keep that up and put themselves into contention to win, that would be great.” The course itself should play to the strengths of both Go and Nagai. Callawassie Island Club is known for its narrow, tight fairways. White agreed that the course played to the strengths of some of his golfers, but noted that the setup could be a disadvantage for others.
“The course sets up well for Chris Yeom, Gen Nagai, and Lloyd Jefferson Go. They hit the driver pretty straight. However, some of our other golfers are more of power hitters, so the course will be both a strength and weakness.” Despite that, the Pirates are a strong putting team and will look to continue that success on the greens.
“We are a good putting team, so if we can putt well and make our putts inside five feet we should use the greens to our advantage.” As always in the sport of golf, weather could play a factor. Hopefully for the Pirates, the forecast stays clear. However, White did not think that weather would hamper his team’s chances at Callawassie. “We have been playing in a lot of wind lately, so if the weather is not ideal it could be an advantage for us because of the conditions we have played in so far this season.”
White was referring to SHU’s recent tournaments at Penn State and Chambers Bay, where wind became a factor on the course.
If the course plays out as planned and all goes well, multiple Pirates should be in the mix at the top of the leaderboard. Regardless of the weather forecast, the Pirates will look to continue their success on the greens if they are going to compete for a Big East title.   Andrew Lombardo can reached at andrew.lombardo@student.shu. edu.