Creighton wins second straight over Seton Hall

[caption id="attachment_14019" align="aligncenter" width="534"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] The Seton Hall baseball team dropped its second straight game to the Creighton Bluejays by a score of 7-1 in Omaha on Saturday. With the loss, the Pirates’ season record falls to 21-10 and 0-2 in Big East play. Freshman pitcher Cullen Dana was on the mound for the Pirates and started the afternoon great, shutting the Bluejays out through the first three innings. However, in the fourth and fifth inning Creighton scored three and four runs, respectively, to go up 7-0. Dana finished the afternoon allowing six earned runs on five hits, three walks and five strikeouts through four innings. After being down 7-0 heading into the top half of the sixth inning, outfielder Zack Weigel doubled home Derek Jenkins to put the Pirates on the board. Unfortunately for the Hall, the team was unable to rally together any more runs and went on to lose 7-1. The Pirates offense struggled throughout the day, only collecting five hits off Creighton’s pitching staff. Weigel led the Pirates in hitting, going 1-3 with a double and the lone RBI. Chris Chiaradio, Jenkins, Mike Caputo and Matt Fortin all each collected a base hit a piece to round up the Pirates’ offense. Seton Hall saw good work out of the bullpen from sophomores Matt Leon and Andrew Politi as well as freshman Matt Ardente, who closed out the last four innings and held the Bluejays scoreless while giving up just three hits. For the Bluejays, it was southpaw junior Jeff Albrecht who stalled the Pirates offense. The 5-foot-10-inch, 220-pound pitcher went 5 2/3 innings, allowing just one earned run on three hits, three strikeouts and two walks. The Bluejays also saw great work from their bullpen, which closed out the game following Albrecht’s exit, only allowing another two hits from the Pirates and not surrendering any further runs. The Pirates will be back in action Sunday, April 10 to conclude their three-game road trip against Creighton. The Pirates will look to avoid getting swept. Matthew Rachek can be reached at matthew.rachek@student.shu,edu.