The Setonian scores new Editor in Chief-elect

I am pleased to announce Gary Phillips has been elected Editor in Chief for the 2016-17 academic school year. Gary has been working for The Setonian since he was a freshman. He started out as a staff writer reporting for sports and soon became a crucial member of the editorial team as Sports Digital Editor. He has shown versatility in his writing and reporting skills by contributing to every section of the paper. One of Gary’s most notable undertakings was spearheading our new website last year along with the Digital Editor, which inspired an entire revamping of our online presence. This will continue to benefit the paper for years to come. Gary has elevated the scope of the sports section this year by incorporating award-winning features and highlighting the colorful journeys of individuals in the sports community. He has exemplified the notion that everyone has a story worth telling, a staple belief in a newspaper that is a voice for the community. Gary plans to grow the newspaper not only in size, but also in impact. As a reporter with a strong digital background, he understands the power of the internet as a tool to reach the immediate community and beyond. The upcoming Editor in Chief will face many challenges. Newspapers in general are changing rapidly in the digital era and the idea of an old-school print publication is becoming increasingly obsolete to upcoming generations. Gary is up for the challenge. With his digital savvy and creativity he will likely excel in the face of adversity. On a personal level I have come to know Gary closely as a friend and teammate and I know the paper is in extremely capable hands for next year. Managing The Setonian, a paper consisting of so many hardworking student journalists, will be just one of many great accomplishments Gary will see in his life. Congratulations, Gary, and good luck!