Students tryout for women’s soccer

[caption id="attachment_13578" align="alignnone" width="660"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption]   The hopes of becoming the hidden talent for the women’s soccer team may be turning into a reality for some Seton Hall students. Coach Rick Stainton and the women’s soccer program ran two sessions of tryouts on Monday, March 7 and Wednesday, March 9 in hopes of finding a potential Division I prospect on campus.
“I’ve always wanted to play college soccer but I was never recruited,” said Chelsi Nurse, a junior biology major. “When the opportunity to tryout arose I decided to participate.”
Current players and the students trying out huddled in the brisk morning cold around Stainton on Monday to discuss the day’s game plan. The participants experienced first-hand what a Division I soccer practice entails. Drills for the day consisted of technical work and then evolved into scrimmage play to see those trying out in game action.
Stainton was encouraging of those trying out, frequently yell- ing words of support. Active players were seen taking them aside and giving them tips on how to better themselves. “At first it was difficult but the team is made up of really nice and inviting girls who care about soccer just like I do,” Nurse said. “After a while I began to feel com- fortable.” The team is coming off of a 2015 season in which it went 2-14-2. With a 2016 recruiting class consisting of Garden State natives Siobhan McGovern (Cranford, N.J.), Jackie Robinson (Matawan, N.J.) and Sarah Schweinberg (Wantage, N.J.) and Connecticut native Marissa Aniolowski already on board, the Pirates are hoping a few more new faces help out in 2016.
  Sedria Thomas can be reached at Sedria.thomas@student.shu.edu or on twitter @sedria_renee.