Tennis secures first victory of spring season as Pirates serve Binghamton

[caption id="attachment_12949" align="alignnone" width="660"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption]   The Seton Hall tennis team was able to capture its first victory of the spring season with a 5-2 win over Binghamton on Sunday. Sophomore Luize Strike and senior Hannah Liljekvist were standouts for the Pirates, as each posted straight set victories and combined for a doubles victory in the No. 1 spot. Senior Julia Keenan was also able to put up a singles victory in straight sets, taking down Alexis Tashiro of Binghamton 6-4, 7-6 (7-1). This gave Keenan an undefeated record for the weekend in singles play. Keenan and Marisa Quevedo were unable to capture a victory in doubles play, losing 7-5 to Agatha Ambrozy and Olga Ostrovetsky of Binghamton. Freshman Anicka Fajnorova came up with a big win in singles play over Ambrozy. After winning the first set 6-3, Fajnorova faltered slightly dropping the second 4-6. Fajnorova was able to get back on track in the third set, closing out the match with a 6-1 win in the final set. After Seton Hall and Binghamton split the first two doubles matches, it came down to the No. 3 matchup featuring senior Isabell Klingert and sophomore Katie Kim for the Pirates and Annie DiMuro and Sara Kohtz for Binghamton. Kim and Klingert were able to take the match 7-6 (8-6) to give the doubles point to Seton Hall. This victory gives the Pirates their first win of the spring season after falling 4-3 to Navy on Saturday. Seton Hall wraps up the weekend with a singles match record of 7-5, with four of those wins coming out of the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. The Pirates return to action next Friday on the road against NJIT before traveling to Connecticut for a showdown with Fairfield the following day. Both matches are set to begin at 3:00 p.m.   Matt Ambrose can be found on Twitter @mambrose97 or by email at matthew.ambrose1@student.shu.edu.