Students feel Stillman marketing program keeps up with the times

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="457"] shu.edu[/caption] As the world shifts into an era of global interconnectedness, some students have been curious as to how Seton Hall’s Stillman School of Business’ marketing program will adapt to the changing world. In response, the program has begun to implement more course options that focus on digital advertising. In order to get a bachelor’s degree in marketing, students must take the 15 required credits. Students also need to choose two out of the following three classes--market research, consumer behavior and advertising--in order to fulfill the requirements. To finish their curriculum, students can choose three marketing electives in order to specify their desired area of study and, eventually, their career. Stephen Pirog, professor and chair of the Department of Marketing, said in an email interview, that the marketing concentration offered at Seton Hall “helps students analyze marketing problems and organize marketing programs that improve businesses’ competitiveness.” Pirog says, since “digital communications are obviously growing in importance in marketing, digital advertising is discussed in nearly every course.” Seton Hall now also offers the course Direct and Interactive Marketing that focuses on managing digital marketing on a number of popular social and digital platforms like Twitter and Facebook.   Many students within the marketing major choose to pair their degree with the hands-on Graphic Design program offered through the Art Department. Other students choose to focus more on the communication aspect of marketing, and pair their marketing degree with a Public Relations minor from the College of Communication and the Arts. Since only 15 credits are required to major in marketing, it is relatively easy for students to add a minor or double major. One of those students who chose to pair her marketing degree with another area of study was Junior Vina Tailor. Tailor is majoring in marketing and finance as well as earning her certificate in IT and supply chain management. Tailor says that Seton Hall has remained relevant with the times and has appropriately shifted to the new age of digital marketing. “I took Web 2.0 with Dr. Ladik and the entire course was centered around digital marketing and the future,” Tailor said. “He had all of the students get Google AdWords certified, which was extremely beneficial.” Katherine Harris, sophomore marketing and economics double major, has not taken any courses that specifically focus on digital marketing yet, but she has already seen the University program step up the integration of technology. “I think that (integration of technology) does help the students expand their thoughts in certain marketing strategies,” Harris said. “Professors relate to the ‘real world’ during lectures often and that puts a new perspective on the topic.” Stephanie Aguila, a junior double major in marketing and sports management with a minor in legal studies, says the program should include curriculum that is “hands on.” “Only one (of my classes) is hands on and I have learned a lot more from that one class than from the others,” she said. Aguila said that she and other students work with real companies and conduct research for them for “hands on” experience. Aguila emphasizes that not every student is a visual learner, and that solely lecturing about digital marketing concepts is not enough. Megan O'Malley can be reached at megan.omalley@student.shu.edu