Softball sweeps Saturday doubleheader

The Seton Hall University Softball team improved to 4-0 on the season as it was able to sweep a double-header over Prairie View A&M on Saturday, Feb. 13 at the Mardi Gras Classic. [caption id="attachment_13179" align="alignright" width="150"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] In the first game of the double dip, the Pirates managed to get out to an early 2-0 lead. The Lady Panthers were able to answer in the bottom of the third inning with an RBI double that cut the Pirate lead in half. With runners at second and third and only one out, freshman Madison Strunk worked out of the jam with a strikeout and a fly out. Strunk was able to settle back in and close the door for the Hall, firing four shutout innings down the stretch to wrap up the 2-1 victory. Strunk has gotten off to a strong start in her freshman campaign. Her one run given up on Saturday ended an 11.2 inning scoreless streak to start her career. Additionally, Strunk has yet to walk a batter in 16.1 innings pitched so far this season. Leading the way offensively in the first game of the day for the Pirates were Alexis Walkden and Alex Rabbetts, who contributed an RBI apiece. In the night cap, the Pirates looked to keep the momentum going and notch a fourth consecutive win to begin the 2016 season. Led by home runs from Faith Laudano and Noel Lent, the Pirates were able to sweep the double-header by capturing a 4-2 win over the Lady Panthers. Lent’s homer gave Seton Hall a 2-0 lead early on. In the bottom of the third, Prairie View A&M would respond with two runs of their own to tie the score. The tie was short lived as in the bottom of the fourth, Faith Laudano smacked her second long ball of the young season to put the Pirates up for good. The two run shot by Laudano was plenty for pitchers Alannah Basile and Lauren Fischer. Basile started the first three innings, giving up two runs. Fischer came in and shut the door over the final four frames, not allowing a run and picking up her first save since the 2014 season. In their 4-0 start, the Pirates have shown their offensive prowess, outscoring opponents 22-8 over those four games. Pitching has been strong to start as well for Seton Hall, as Strunk has proved to be the ace of the pitching staff in the early going, posting a miniscule 0.55 ERA in three appearances. Walkden, the reigning Big East Rookie of the Year, has been off to a hot start too. Through four games she is hitting .556 (5-9) with one home run, four RBI’s and four stolen bases. The Pirates will look to complete a perfect weekend at the Mardi Gras Classic tomorrow morning when they host Louisiana Monroe. First pitch is set for 10:30 AM.   Matt Ambrose can be reached at matthew.ambrose1@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @mambrose97.