Men's and women's swim and dive compete in the Navy Invite

[caption id="attachment_12946" align="alignnone" width="660"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption]   The Seton Hall men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams both participated in the Navy Invite on Saturday, Jan. 30, at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. Other competing schools included host Navy, Bucknell, Lafayette, Loyola, American and Shippensburg. This was the last meet of the regular season for both programs before the Big East Championships that will take place late in February. On the men’s side, the performance was dominant, although the meet was not scored. Altogether, SHU came away with 11 first-place finishes out of 16 events. Most notably, freshmen Lior Grubert racked up three individual victories while sophomores Noah Yanchulis and Dakota Williams also notched two individual victories. Three other Pirates were able to come away with a first-place finish, two of them newcomers to the team, Ivan Michalovic and Kyle Nash, along with sophomore Matt Zebrowski. A team of Yanchulis, Williams, Chris Tucker and David Rowe teamed to give the program a win in the relay to round out the event. On the women’s side, there was a strong performance from veterans Megan Mallon and Melody Bush, who both earned victories. Bush was especially impressive and posted a season-best time in the 100-meter backstroke. She also had a team-best time in the 200-meter backstroke. The team as a whole made a valiant effort in the competition by posting at least one top-five finish in eight other events. Bush came up with two, and junior Tessa Lindner was responsible for three on her own. One of those was a runner-up finish in the 200-medley relay. Both teams will now look to prepare for the conference championships, which will start on Feb. 24 and will continue until Feb. 27. This will take place in East Meadow, New York, at the Nassau Aquatic Center.   Joseph McManus can be reached at joseph.mcmanus@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @ScoopMcManus