How to stay healthy on campus

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="225"] shu.edu[/caption] The symptoms of being sick can call for resting in bed with chills and a fever which can be far from fun. The best possible scenario is just avoiding getting sick. Diane Lynch, assistant director of health services at Seton Hall, said some techniques as basic as washing your hands. “Your hands come in contact with so many surfaces and they can transport a virus from a surface right into your mucous membranes,” Lynch said. Even if a sink and soap are not readily available, Purell or any hand sanitizer will do the job. Another simple task is to get enough sleep. “If you are not getting enough sleep, you are going to be more likely to get sick because your immune system works way better when you’re well rested,” Lynch. Sleep is key to staying healthy, both physically and mentally. Additionally, the flu shot is recommended, especially now, during winter, as it prevents contraction of the flu and can give everybody one less thing to worry about. There are also numerous on-campus activities dedicated to helping students, whether it be a time-management class at the ARC or attending a stress ball making event. Furthermore, the cafeteria offers plenty of healthy options every day like various fruits and the salad bar. For those wishing to go the extra mile to ensure their health, some less common but still effective actions can be taken. “If you share spaces with others, be sure to wipe down high touch shared surfaces such as door knobs and faucets often,” Lynch added. This step prevents more germs from getting to your skin and makes washing your hands even more effective. In the case that someone does look like he or she might be sick, Lynch urges to look for wheezing or shortness of breath, fever which is sustained and not responding well to treatment with fever medications and if symptoms are getting worse rather than better after five days. If you are worried about potentially being sick, contact Health Services, open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. during the weekdays. Zachary Wohl can be reached at zachary.wohl@student.shu.edu.