University president ranks among state’s top business figures

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="432"] shu.edu[/caption] President A. Gabriel Esteban has placed in the top 75 of NJBIZ’s Power 100 for the second year in a row. The University president ranked 64 among “the state’s most influential people in business,” according to NJBIZ.com. The Power 100 is selected based on who NJBIZ considers the most important, influential, successful and impactful players in New Jersey according to recommendations and a series of formal and informal interviews, according to the article. Esteban placed for the second time in four years, falling three places compared to last year when he was ranked 61. The President released the following statement: “I am honored to, once again, be listed on The Power 100, NJBIZ's annual ranking of the most influential people in New Jersey business.  I accept this distinction with gratitude on behalf of the Seton Hall Community who work together to support our shared unwavering commitment to excellence.” The website explains his selection: “At a time when many institutions of higher education are struggling over finances (both their own and their students’), Seton Hall is surging as a growing power locally and nationally. The campus has had too many upgrades to list, the profile of incoming classes gets better every year, and now it’s adding a medical school to go along with its law school.” It was also mentioned that sources close to Esteban have called him a “player” active in strategic campus plans. As previously reported by The Setonian, the president has taken a more aggressive approach compared to recent years with new goals of placing the University in the top 5 Catholic universities in the country and top 75 universities nationally. Among other projects, the University spent $15 to $20 million on maintenance over the summer and plans to construct a new Welcome Center on campus.