SHU student published in college composition textbook

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="247"] Amazon.com[/caption] Have you ever wondered just how far your goals and passions can take you? Rachel O’Connor, a junior biology major in the physician assistant dual degree program, will have her literary analysis of Shirley Jackson’s short story “The Lottery” published in the 13th edition of “The Bedford Reader.” O’Connor said she was excited after hearing about the opportunity from her former English professor, Dr. Nancy Enright. “I jumped at the opportunity and immediately drafted something because being published in a major textbook like that is certainly a goal of mine,” O’Connor said in an email interview. Dr. Enright said she was very proud of her former student when she found out that her work will be featured in the publication. “I was absolutely thrilled! She deserves to get a piece published like this and I’m happy this happened for her,” Dr. Enright said. O’Connor said that she spent approximately a week composing and finalizing the piece prior to submitting it. She went on to say that writing and some of her writing-oriented goals have been a part of her life for a number years. She said that she was originally inspired to write at the age of five by her father, who taught her that she can do anything she aspired to. O’Connor added that this drive was very important to continue fueling her passion for writing in the midst of her demanding schedule. “Even though I’m busy, I make time for writing because it’s not something I can just not do,” O’Connor said. “My eyes are always peeled for opportunities to write and when one comes up, I make it a priority in my life.” Additionally, she said Seton Hall’s English department helped her to develop her writing through knowledge, guidance and opportunities to put her writing out there. O’Connor went on to say that she enjoys writing in a variety of genres, from short stories to non-fiction essays. The aspiring surgical physician assistant and author said that regardless of the field one pursues, writing is a valuable skill that gives people an advantage over competitors who lack such a talent. O’Connor said that at the start of this month, she will begin writing for GLO Science, a professional teeth whitening company, in New York City. “My dream is to be published in Scientific American one day and also to have several books of my own,” she said. Julie Trien can be reached at julie. trien@student.shu.edu.