SHU Cheer travels to national championship

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="368"] SHU Cheer Facebook[/caption]   For the first time in three years, the Seton Hall Cheer team has competed in the Universal Cheerleaders Association (UCA) & Universal Dance Association (UDA) College Cheerleading and Dance National Championship. The team stayed in Orlando, Fla. January 15-17 for “the most prestigious college cheerleading championship in the country,” the UCA website states. This competition is the only one that the Seton Hall Cheer team competes in for the season. Captain Jessica McGuire, senior broadcasting and television production major, said 20 Seton Hall cheerleaders competed in All Girls Division I. McGuire said that although the Seton Hall team did not make it to finals, they will find out the results of semis within the next few days. Teammate Anthony Marotta, senior communications studies major, said the most memorable part of the weekend was “being able to bond with my team,” and, considering the competition, “watching all of our hard work pay off.” Co-captain Kristen Ralston, senior elementary special education major, said that on Jan. 17 Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World was open at night for teams from around the nation that competed that weekend. In the midst of a busy weekend, McGuire cheered on her teammates to do their best and to motivate them. “I’ve used my experience on the team from the past four years to cheer up other teammates and relate to how they’re feeling,” McGuire said. To get excited, McGuire added, “We do a little chant before we take the mat and spell out Pirates.” Leah Carton can be reached at leah.carton@student.shu.edu.