Construction begins on "Hall of Fame"

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="419"] stadiumjourney.com[/caption] Two years after the completion of the multimillion dollar fitness center, the University is continuing to make major renovations to the Richie Regan Recreation Center. Current renovations set to be completed in fall 2016 include a new façade for the center that will exemplify school spirit through Seton Hall blue accents and Pirate logos, a modernized lobby area, and a featured Hall of Fame portraying the accomplishments of past and current student-athletes. The heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system also will be updated. John Signorello, associate vice president of Facilities Engineering and the Office of Business Affairs, said in an email that planning for the renovation project has been done for more than one year. Daniel Kalmanson, associate vice president for Public Relations & Marketing, said in an email that there have been several positive changes to the Recreation Center over the past few years to make the facility “more welcoming” and “to better serve the needs of the campus community.” He added, “This project is a continuation of those changes and will provide a more attractive and inviting facility for both our students and our student-athletes.” Catarina Santos, a junior nursing major, said the renovations could bring more students to the spin class that she instructs. Santos has seen an increase in the number of students visiting the Recreation Center since the prior renovations were completed in 2014. “The renovations were huge, so many kids came all the time,” Santos said. “People see new things, they’re curious and want to walk in. They like it and then they come the majority of the time.” Fellow fitness class instructor Stephanie Koeller, junior psychology major, teaches BodyFlow and spin classes. Koeller enjoys the renovations already done to the Recreation Center and also expects more students to come out to her classes because of the renovations. “Even if you think about when they redid the Rec Center in the past, that gym was not nearly as crowded with as many students as the one now is,” Koeller said. “The more renovations that are done, the more students we’ll have.” Students can start their visit to the Recreation Center by entering a renovated lobby area, which Kalmanson said will provide a better flow of people through the lobby and easier access to elevators. “The improvements will provide a more attractive environment for everyone and a more welcoming entryway for events held in the Field House such as open houses for Admissions,” Kalmanson said. He added, the Hall of Fame serves as an attraction for prospective students and their families, as well as for fans outside of the Walsh Gymnasium on game days. Kevin Sponzo, senior associate athletic director, said the newly constructed Athletic Hall of Fame will be a “centerpiece” for the Richie Regan Athletic and Recreation Center. “The Hall of Fame will not only tell the story about our rich athletic history and the individuals that helped make that happen but will also be a place where our current and future student-athletes can visit and aspire to create their own stories,” Sponzo said in an email. Danielle Schroeder, junior nursing major and outside hitter for the Women’s Volleyball team, said the Hall of Fame will be beneficial to the Seton Hall community. “It will be really cool to have pictures and see what those people have done, and what they look like,” Schroeder said. “SHU athletes will have a lot more respect for their team and school, and they will be really encouraged to put themselves on the Hall of Fame.” Leah Carton can be reached at leah.carton@student.shu.edu