Cautionary steps to trek during snowstorms at SHU

[caption id="attachment_12954" align="alignnone" width="357"]Joey Khan Photography Joey Khan Photography[/caption] Winter on Seton Hall’s campus is breathtaking, but life can get complicated for students once the joy of winter weather starts falling.  The winter experience can be a hassle for both, a commuter and an on-campus resident so a major key is to prepare for the cold and snowy season. The first thing to keep in mind is that snowy days do not always mean cancelled classes. As a commuter, you should give yourself enough time to commute on the hazardous roads especially with the possibility of having car issues. Through the proper time management, you can overcome obstacles like traffic caused by icy roads. This winter, dress to impress, but also dress to freeze less especially when it’s below freezing as you walk around campus. Wear enough layers so that you’re warm on your journey to survive the cold. Also, wearing more layers will prevent getting sick and falling behind in class due to sick days.   Before leaving your house or dorm room, make sure to check your e-mail for any alerts regarding the campus. In the winter, these emails can range from moving your car from the parking deck, classes being cancelled or a delay in the time classes will start. An emergency supply kit can help with emergencies which might come up during the season. A battery, radio, flashlight, water, first-aid kid and non-perishable food in your dorm room can be helpful. Over preparedness is better than being underprepared during winter. Also, check the weather to know what to expect throughout the day with no windy or stormy surprises. Through checking the weather, you will know whether roads are icy or if it’s sleeting outside. Just because a winter wonderland on campus might appear beautiful, does not mean that it will always come with a beautiful experience so be prepared. Jasmine Igwegbe can be reached at jasmine.igwegbe@student.shu.edu.