WSOU DJ spins way to national award

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="304"] SoundCloud.com[/caption] By the time students graduate, hopefully they have a better understanding of what they are going to do post-undergrad life. Throughout college, along the way, students may achieve campus accomplishments. Senior Ryan Flannery has taken his experience out of the garden state and received national recognition from College Broadcasters, Inc. (CBI) and NextRadio for a radio commercial spot that he produced. WSOU received notification of the contest through its CBI membership and its part in NextRadio/ TagStation. General Manager of WSOU Mark Maben said word of the contest spread quickly throughout the college radio community. Maben explained the purpose of the contest was to offer students an opportunity to conceive, create and submit a commercial radio spot, as well as provide students a chance for development that extended beyond the confines of a classroom or even a radio station. “Sometimes students get a chance to create a local commercial radio spot, but the opportunity to create one that airs nationally is rare,” Maben said. Flannery received third place for his spot and was surprised when he found out the news. “I’ve been the production manager for WSOU for about a year and a half now so it’s good to see the hard work paying off,” Flannery said. “The first person I called was my Mom.” His peers acknowledge Flannery’s hard work and zest for the field as well. “Ryan is an extremely dedicated member of the station and constantly takes the time to perfect his audio production skills,” Erica Szczepaniak, the WSOU station manager, said. “We are very excited to see what he accomplishes next.” Flannery said he is thankful for WSOU and where it has taken him. He is currently working with Hot 97, but his future goal is to move up in the company and become an on-air personality. “WSOU means a lot,” Flannery said. “It’s given me so much in terms of learning music, production, traveling for sports and just learning how the industry works.” Maben said that other students from WSOU traveled to Minnestoa during the last week of October for CBI’s National Student Electronic Media Convention. Flannery was given another national honor as he took home the “Best Play-by-Play” award at the National Student Production Awards. “There are so many opportunities on campus for individuals to challenge themselves to grow professionally and personally,” Maben said. “The wise thing is to take advantage of the opportunities that can help you earn that recognition. Whether it is at WSOU, in the lab, on the playing field, or in a student organization, strive to do something great before graduating.” Siobhan McGirl can be reached at siobhan.mcgirl@student.shu.edu.