Seton Hall seniors looking forward to life after college

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="422"] shu.edu[/caption] Seniors are tasked with mapping out their futures as graduation nears, but graduate school appears to be a popular choice. According to the Council of Graduate Schools website, first-time graduate school enrollment increased by 3.5 percent from fall 2013 to fall 2014. The increase is likely explained due to a employers requiring graduate degrees for entry-level positions. The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that U.S. employers will implement 2.4 million positions requiring a graduate degree or higher between 2012 and 2022. Megan Smith, a senior secondary education and spanish double major said that she intends to become a high school counselor. “I have loved being an education major and I still want to work in a high school, but I realized that I wanted to inspire and encourage high school students in a way other than teaching,” Smith said in an email. Smith added that her work experience at Seton Hall also served as inspiration. “After working as a student worker and campus tour guide in the undergraduate admissions office, I realized that I wanted to help students with the college application process,” she said. Andrea Doumar, a senior occupational therapy major, said that she is in a program where she has completed three years of undergraduate education and is on track to earning her master’s degree. “I was able to observe an OT [occupational therapist] in an elementary school setting and just fell in love with the children and how an OT is able to help them succeed in the classroom and outside the classroom,” Doumar said.    While, Gina Aloe, assistant director at the career center, said that every student has an individual path after graduation. The career center works with students so they can find a fulfilling future after graduation.   “We want to get to know you, your interests and your skills so that we can help you make decisions about a career path that is satisfying to you and will make you happy,” Aloe said. In order to show seniors the options available to them, this office holds a variety of events. These include career fairs, workshops and networking forums. Julie Trien can be reached at julie.trien@student.shu.edu.