Women's soccer loses sixth straight match by dropping to Providence

[caption id="attachment_11590" align="alignnone" width="660"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption]   The Seton Hall women’s soccer team dropped its sixth straight match on Sunday afternoon, losing to the Providence Friars, 1-0. Sophomore Laura Dramis made her first career start in goal and made six saves for the Pirates. The match was physical from the start at Owen T. Carroll Field, with the officials allowing the play to carry on. The only card to be shown during the match was shown to Providence head coach Sam Lopes in the 65th minute. “I think we are always up for a physical challenge, so that wasn’t something we necessarily frown upon,” head coach Rick Stainton said. The Pirates’ chances to score in the first half were few and far between. They only took three. The Pirates had only one shot on goal in the first half, coming off the foot of Cathy Chukuka in the 19th minute. Chukuka left the game two minutes later due to an injury and did not return. The Pirates had one other scoring chance in the first half, coming off the foot of Amanda Gulli in the 40th minute. Gulli lined one up off her right foot from about 30 yards out, but the shot snuck just past the right post. The Friars had plenty of opportunities to score in the first half, tallying eight shots and four on goal. The best opportunity for the Friars in the first half came off the foot of Catherine Zimmerman in the 11th minute. The Friars set up in front of Dramis and created a screen as Zimmerman took the shot from just outside the box. Dramis saw the ball at the last minute, successfully punching the ball up and off the crossbar before being cleared by the Pirates back line. Heading into halftime, the match remained scoreless. The Pirates came out with a sense of urgency in the second half and generated shots in the box five minutes into the half. “We want to come out aggressive from the start,” Stainton said. “We just made them aware of a couple of tactics they might see and how we could capitalize on our own opportunities.” The Friars tallied the only goal of the match in the came from Casey Estey off an assist from Rachel Ugolik. Ugolik laid it off from near the six-yard box to Estey near the top of the box, and Estey did the rest, burying it in the back of the net. The Pirates had a chance in the 89th minute to tie the game, as Jackie Saint John tried to curl one in from the right side of the box, but Providence’s Kristyn Shea made a diving save. Shea left a rebound opportunity as the ball was free for a moment in front of the net, but Hailee Duserick was able to clear it out of the box before any Pirates could put it home. The Pirates will take the pitch again on Friday, Oct. 30, when they host Villanova for their last match of the season on senior night at 7 p.m.   Kevin Huebler can be reached at kevin.huebler@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @Hueblerkevin