Women's soccer drops third match in a row with loss to Xavier

[caption id="attachment_11413" align="alignnone" width="660"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption]   The Seton Hall women’s soccer team lost its third straight match against the Xavier Musketeers, 1-0, Sunday night. Freshman Anna MacLean started the match in the net and gave up only one goal in 90 minutes. The goalkeeper had five saves in the match with three coming in the first half and two in the second half. The lone goal of the match was scored by sophomore Kenadie Carlson in the 25th minute. Sophomore Maddie Tierney and freshman Samantha Dewey were credited with assists on the goal. Carlson is the team leader in goals scored with six on the season. The Pirates played the entire second half with 10 players when freshman Delaney Suarez earned a red card in the 44th minute. The Blue and White out-shot the Musketeers 8-4 in the second half. Senior Amanda Gulli had the most shots in the match with three and two on goal. Seton Hall had 11 shots with eight coming on goal with none resulting in goals. Five different Pirates had at least one shot on goal. Senior D’Yonna Riley and freshman Eva Gonzalez each had two shots with both coming on goal. The winning goalie was junior Rachel Piccus, who gave up no goals in 90 minutes. Riccus had eight total saves with six coming in the second half. The Musketeers had a total of 13 shots with nine coming in the first half. With this loss, the Pirates have yet to win a match on the road this season. The team’s current record is 2-10-2 (1-4-0). The Pirates’ next match is at home against Butler on Sunday, Oct. 18 at 1 p.m. Javon Glenn can be reached at javon.glenn@student.shu.edu or on twitter @javong25. For complete coverage of Seton Hall athletics, follow @setoniansports.