Volleyball commits seven errors in fifth set to drop Big East matchup

[caption id="attachment_11379" align="alignnone" width="660"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption]   The Seton Hall’s women’s volleyball team came back after being down two sets to one against Providence on Wednesday, but committed seven errors in the fifth set to drop its second straight match to a Big East rival. An impressive effort came from Seton Hall senior Amanda Hansen, who accumulated 21 kills to lead all players. Freshmen Cherise Hennigan and Abby Thelen made strong contributions of 16 and 11 kills, respectively. After dominating the first set 25-16, the Pirates cooled down and dropped the next two sets. Getting its focus back, Seton Hall remained strong and clawed back to a 25-17 victory in the fourth set to stay alive. The set featured an excellent four-point run that included kills from Thelen and Sophia Coffey, along with an ace and error by the Friars. The fifth and final set went back and forth until the score was knotted up at 9-9. The Pirates then committed three consecutive errors to give Providence the lead for the rest of the set. The Friars were led by junior Kayla Fitzgerald, who notched a team-high 17 kills and eight digs. Junior Michelle Cruz chipped in to tie for a game-high 23 digs, tying with Seton Hall’s Tessa Fournier. After this tough loss, the Pirates fall to 2-3 in Big East play and drop to 8-9 for the season. Wednesday’s match allowed Providence to pick up its first conference win, rising to 1-4. The Pirates will look to regroup after back-to-back losing efforts and will host the Butler Bulldogs at Walsh Gym on Friday, Oct. 9. Kyle Kasharian can be reached at kyle.kasharian@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @ItsKyleKash