SHU students bleed blue, show fall spirit

[caption id="attachment_11200" align="alignnone" width="376"]Ken Cook/ Photography Editor Ken Cook/ Photography Editor[/caption] The days begin to wane, the nights close in and the trees change to a vibrant color as the crisp autumn air creeps in. Friends start apple picking on the weekends, ready to make homemade apple cider. The beginning of fall is marked with pumpkins and corn mazes. For some universities, getting into the fall spirit means going to football games, but for Seton Hall University students, it’s the atmosphere around campus. “Nature gets me into the fall spirit,” Joseph Puleo, a senior political science major, said. Even though SHU does not have the most popular of fall college sports, a football team, students do not have a hard time getting into the fall spirit. “I think it’s cool when the seasons change,” Anna Bondi, a sophomore diplomacy and international relations major, said. “The fall gives campus a homey feel. We can also go to the soccer games, which is a good substitute for football.” SHU students can also look to the athletic department which ensures that spreading Pirate pride is of the highest importance which is advantageous for students. “Seton Hall is home to 14 Division-1 sports, all who compete at a very high level in one of the premiere conferences in the nation,” Christopher Carl, assistant athletic director of marketing and promotions, said. “There is plenty to get excited about around not only basketball, but all of our sports teams.” During the fall, students can show their Pirate pride by supporting the Men’s Soccer team and the Women’s Soccer and Volleyball teams, all which play their home matches on campus. The autumn season is also used as a time to promote the basketball teams when a majority of schools are still focused on football. The athletic department puts on events such as the Blue and White scrimmage, Midnight Madness, Meet the Team parties and open practices. Athletic spirit programs are also essential in spreading Pirate pride. Besides the S.H.I.P.S app, which allows students to checkin at events and earn points and redeem rewards, there is also a Pirate Blue Student Club. “This organization is made up of Seton Hall students who bleed blue with their passion for SHU Athletics,” Carl said. “Members of this group receive exclusive benefits including Pregame Tailgates, Seton Hall Athletic Gear and tickets/travel to away contests.” Rebecca White can be reached at rebecca.white@student.shu.edu