Shorthanded Pirates make noise at Navy Invitational

[caption id="attachment_11406" align="alignnone" width="660"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption]   The Seton Hall women’s tennis team traveled down to Annapolis, Md., to take part in the annual Navy Blue & Gold Invitational over the weekend. The invitational was a 10-team, weekend long event between some of the top women’s tennis squads in the region. The tourney featured four singles flights and two doubles flights. Seton Hall entered the tournament shorthanded, but the Pirates showed up ready to make their mark. Each of the five Pirates in action were able to grab a win in singles play. Senior Hannah Liljekvist starred for the Pirates, as she was able to reach the semifinals in the A singles flight. Liljekvist, who was named to the 2014 All-Big East Women’s Tennis Team, has earned main draw wins in both of her appearances this fall. Sophomore Luize Strike was also able to find success in the A singles flight. Strike earned herself a spot in the quarterfinals after taking down Delaware’s Amanda Strudnicki in three sets. Freshman Anna Fajnorova was able to take down one of Delaware’s own, as she defeated Sarah Hall in straight sets to claim a spot in the B singles flight quarterfinals. Fajnorova has impressed early on, as her quarterfinal appearance over the weekend was her second in as many tournaments this fall. Senior Julia Keenan and sophomore Katie Kim each competed in the C singles flight over the weekend. Keenan was able to grab a victory over Allison Hansen of George Washington, but eventually fell to Catalina Rico of host school Navy. Kim was able to take down Navy’s Carlee Conway before she was bested by Stony Brook’s Louise Badoche, who went on to win the flight. Kim also competed in a doubles flight alongside senior Isabell Klingert. The duo was unable to capture a victory against George Mason’s pair of Mina Saygi and Morgan Yang. The Pirates will return to South Orange on Saturday when they take on Fordham. The match is set to start at 12 p.m.   Matt Ambrose can be found on Twitter at @mambrose97 and can be reached at matthew.ambrose1@student.shu.edu.