New ID readers swipe for quick 'caf' access

[caption id="attachment_11188" align="alignnone" width="362"]Anna Griffin/ Assistant Photography Editor Anna Griffin/ Assistant Photography Editor[/caption] Gourmet Dining Services (GDS) has implemented three magnetic card reader systems attached to mobile devices, enabling more students to swipe in for their meals at the same time. The new equipment came in response to this year’s large freshman class, and an increase in the number of meal tickets sold. According to Michael Garcia, director of business affairs, 170 more meal plans were sold for the fall 2015 semester than in fall 2014. Kristen Rinaldi, a sophomore biology and physician assistant major, shared her thoughts on the new card reading system. “The lines used to be so long and it would take up to 10 minutes to get into the Caf, meet up with friends, and to grab something quick between classes,” Rinaldi said. “The new swipe machines allow me more time to sit down and eat instead of rushing during a busy day of classes.” In addition to increasing line speeds, the new card reader machines allow students to view their Pirate’s Gold, Pirate Bucks, and remaining meal swipe balances. The GDS food truck Chiara’s Creations also utilizes these card reader machines. “When I used to walk into the caf and see the long line trailing out the University Center door, I would be tempted to eat somewhere else,” said Alicia Heesen, a sophomore biology and physical therapy major. “Now that there is someone else swiping us in on their phones, it goes by so much faster. Now I can get to my beloved chicken fingers faster.” Zachariah Boyer can be reached at zachariah.boyer@student.shu. edu.