Men's soccer remains winless on the season with loss to Butler

[caption id="attachment_11581" align="alignnone" width="660"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption]   The Seton Hall men’s soccer team continued its season-long losing stretch with a 3-0 loss Saturday night at the hands of Butler. The Pirates’ fate was determined early when Vincent Mitchell, Butler’s leading goal scorer, capitalized on a turnover a minute and a half into the game to give Butler its first of three goals. The first goal would only be a sign of things to come, as the Seton Hall defense struggled for most of the match. The Pirates were lucky enough to be given a penalty shot shortly after, but blew the chance. Head coach Gerson Echeverry was disappointed with his team’s start to the game. “When you give up an easy goal in a minute and a half and have a missed penalty kick, those are heartbreakers,” Echeverry. “Once we missed the penalty we lost our confidence and were deflated.” Seton Hall goalkeeper Julian Spindler only had to make three saves, but Butler was able to take 18 shots.  Many of those shots were great scoring chances for Butler, but missed the target.  Seton Hall was able to get seven shots on goal. Those shots stemmed from a few quality chances, but the Pirates were not able to finish. Looking ahead to the next match against Big East heavyweight Georgetown, Echeverry made it clear his team needs to improve. “We need to be better at everything,” he said. “We were not very good passing the ball, we need to defend better and we need to finish our opportunities and put them in the back of the net.” Seton Hall travels to the nation’s capital, Washington D.C., on Wednesday Oct. 24 to play Georgetown.  Georgetown is undefeated in conference play.     Andrew Lombardo can be contacted at Andrew.lombardo@student.shu.edu