Inside the Booth: Balancing Life as a student

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="652"] wsou.net[/caption] Seton Hall’s own WSOU has provided the soundtrack to college life, featuring genres from heavy metal to punk music for years. A WSOU DJ has given The Setonian, a peek at life inside the booth. “My favorite part of being a DJ is being able to connect with people all over the country through music,” Ryan Stetz, senior marketing major said. “Being able to talk to listeners and hear about what they’re enjoying or getting to meet them in person and talk at shows might be the best part of the job.” Stetz said he organizes his class schedule in such a way that he can devote days to study as well as work at the station in shift from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. He added that as along as he keeps a schedule and makes sure to set time aside for other activities, it is fairly easy. When at WSOU, Stetz puts together playlists to go on the air and transitions to a newscaster every 30 minutes. He explained that he typically talks on air with the newscaster about topics which he or she is covering. “First and foremost, I need to be playing the best music possible for the listeners,” Stetz said. This veteran DJ, who has been working at WSOU since the summer of 2012, said it is extremely important to keep listeners informed about news in the heavy metal and indie/rock world because for a lot of people, WSOU is their only news source throughout the day. “Not only do we have an amazing staff of students, but we have advisors at the station who genuinely care about the students, including General Manager Mark Maben, Chief Engineer Frank Scafidi and Sales Manager Jennifer Kajzer,” Stetz said. “In addition to getting to work with everyone at WSOU, I have the privilege of working with record labels and venues, learning every day from people in the industry.” Stetz said his future ambition involves working in music marketing so it appears he found a place to foster his dreams at WSOU. He added that the greatest benefit of being a part of the 24 hour station is working with staff and artists. Julie Trien can be reached at julie. trien@student.shu.edu.