Pirates notch comeback win against Hofstra

[caption id="attachment_10712" align="aligncenter" width="611"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] The Seton Hall volleyball team stormed back to defeat Hofstra in five sets on Saturday morning. The Pirates got out to an early lead, taking the first set by a score of 25-22. Neither team was able to pull away in a set full of runs. Combined, the two teams needed three timeouts to attempt to regain momentum. Freshman Sophia Coffey assisted on 14 of the Pirates’ points in the first set. The second set was much like the first with neither team getting out to a decisive lead. Sarah Kenneweg struggled to return services sent her way, until coach Allie Yaeger called a timeout with the team trailing 17-14. “We told her that she needs to get the pass up and that’s unacceptable,” Yaeger said on Kenneweg’s early struggles. Following the timeout, Kenneweg and the rest of her Pirate teammates appeared to settle down despite losing the set 25-21. With the score tied at one set apiece, the Pirates battled back in the third set. After giving up three straight points to the Pride to start the set, the Pirates went on a 7-1 run to take the lead. The majority of the set remained within one point until Seton Hall went on an 8-4 run to close the set. Holding a 2-1 lead over the Pride, the Pirates were slow out of the gates in the fourth set. The Pirates trailed 11-4 halfway through the fourth set and couldn’t recover as they dropped the set by a score of 25-16. It looked like the Pirates would suffer the same fate as they trailed 8-3 when the teams switched sides midway through the final set. The Pirates came alive in the second half of the set thanks to two critical blocks by Abby Thelen. The Pirates would take the set 15-13 and the match 3-2. Coffey finished with 45 assists. Freshman Grace Forren led the team with 15 kills. “The freshmen knew coming into this that a lot of them were going to be playing and that if we wanted to win that they had to step on the court and be successful immediately,” Yaeger said. Seton Hall is now 3-2 on the young season. The Pirates will look to win all three of their matches in the Seton Hall Classic when they take on Temple in their final contest of the tournament at 7:30 Saturday night in Walsh Gymnasium.   Kevin Huebler can be reached at kevin.huebler@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @Hueblerkevin