Pirates fall to Ohio Bobcats in straight sets

[caption id="attachment_10817" align="alignnone" width="620"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption]   The Seton Hall volleyball (4-3) team fell in straight sets to the Ohio Bobcats Friday night, losing 25-20, 26-24, 25-19, in the Pirates’ opening game of the Louisville Invitational. After sweeping their way through the Seton Hall Classic last weekend, the Pirates were unable to carry their momentum into Kentucky against a very strong Ohio team. In fact, in last week’s AVCA Coaches’ Poll, the Bobcats were unranked but received 20 votes. California native Sophia Coffey built off her strong performance last weekend for the Pirates. The freshman led the Hall with 29 assists, nine digs and four kills. Fellow Seton Hall Classic All-Tournament Team members Amanda Hansen and Cherise Hennigan also contributed for the Pirates. Following the first set, Seton Hall had a very good opportunity to steal a set and get back into the match. After starting the set down 16-11, the Pirates went on an eight-point run to take a 19-16 lead. Late in the second set, the Pirates appeared to be on the verge of tying that match at one-set apiece, holding a 23-21 lead. However, Ohio clamped down and went on a 5-1 run to close out the set and ran away with it, 26-24, to go up 2-0. In the third set, the Bobcats were able to seal the match with a 25-19 win to knock off the Pirates, 3-0. Seton Hall will be back in action on Saturday as the team continues its quest in the Louisville Invitational. The Pirates will first square off against the Louisville Cardinals at 10 a.m., followed by the Utah Utes at 5:30 p.m. Matthew Rachek can be reached at matthew.rachek@student.shu.edu or on twitter @matthewrachek