Food Truck and Rock Carnival a great way for students to spend weekend

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="356"] newnoisemagazine.com[/caption] Fall customarily marks the season of jeans, hoodies, boots, sweaters, pumpkin spice lattes and football. However, this year marks a new trend: The Food Truck and Rock Carnival. The carnival will take place at Oak Ridge Park in Clark, N.J. at 5 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 18 and during that weekend at 12 p.m. . This event celebrates the collaboration of the two important aspects of any college student’s life: food and music. As we start the semester, most of us could need an outlet to release stress, but still need time to rest up for classes which is exactly what this festival can also provide. Added to the main walk of attractions are the performance stages where rock stars of yesteryear, today and tomorrow will perform. The throwback madness starts with featured tribute bands: Judas Priestess (Judas Preist), Ozzmosis (Ozzy), Voyage (Journey), and Almost Queen (Queen). The party crashes into Saturday with live performances from Slash, Black Label Society, KIX, Faster Pussycat and many others. Sunday’s lineup hits the shindig nerve and wraps the excitement up with an abundance of renowned artists such as Clutch, Anthrax, Lita Ford, and LA Guns. “It was pretty exciting to be announced on the lineup,” Militia, front woman of Judas Pristess said. If the music isn’t enough to get you out of bed on a weekend, the amusement rides, food trucks, pro-wrestling, comedic acts and festivities will have you rushing to the gates. Bring an ID because there will be more than 20 craft beer microbreweries with their best brews for sale. “We’ve been around for a few years, so any kind of new thing at this point is cool! I think we’re going to have a blast,” Frank Bello of Anthrax said. “I love playing festivals- especially something like this where there are other things going on outside of the music. I’m going to have a good time…I know that,” Dan Maines of Clutch said. Promoter John D’Esposito has labored hard and long on this show. He plans for it to be a regularly staged event, and suspects that the time is right for a revival of sorts. “Most of our target audience has a kid in the 8-14 range. I think the parents should bring the kids out to a rock show, but include them in activities that will involve them as well,” D’Esposito said. “It’s not your normal fair, it’s something to help them appreciate Rock and Roll. I want to create the first concert experience for a father and son. I want them to say ‘that was awesome dad, I want to go to another concert.’” Seton Hall students on a strict budget can get in free on Friday, and if you buy your tickets soon, for no more than $50, you can take in the Saturday or Sunday events. Visit www.therockcarnival.com for more info on the Food Truck and Rock Carnival. Katherine Wilson can be reached at katherine.wilson@student.shu.edu