Seton Hall softball tabs Alex Rabbetts as new captain

[caption id="attachment_10338" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] With seven seniors leaving the Seton Hall softball program, it is time for the team to elect a new captain. Their choice: senior-to-be Alex Rabbetts. For the first time in her head coaching career, Paige Smith allowed her team to vote to select the captain. Rabbetts, who is expected to fulfill duties as catcher, will also be filling the leadership void left by the graduating class. In 29 starts of her 39 appearances, Rabbetts’ offensive productivity consisted of three home runs along with 21 hits and 10 RBI. She also finished her 2015 campaign with a .402 slugging and a .354 on-base percentage. Rabbetts will also certainly look to be a defensive presence for the Pirates next season. Her three runners-picked-off led the Big East this past season. Seton Hall’s softball program experienced a resurgence in 2015. The Pirates played in the Big East Championship for the first time in 10 years, but ultimately lost to St. John’s Red Storm. The 2016 season is loaded with potential for The Hall. While it will be difficult to replace the likes of seniors Danielle DeStaso and Sara Haefeli, the lineup is still filled with talent and power. Joining Rabbets next year will be Big East Rookie of the Year Alexis Walkden as well as Yasmin Harrell, who led the conference in home runs and hits, respectively.   Matt Zeigafuse can be reached at matthew.zeigafuse@student.shu.edu