Pirates softball gets no-hit on Senior Day

[caption id="attachment_10196" align="aligncenter" width="587"]Kenneth Cook Kenneth Cook[/caption] The Seton Hall softball team fell to the Georgetown Hoyas on Sunday afternoon in the Pirates’ season finale by a score of 7-1. Although it was a festive Senior Day for the Pirates, Hoyas pitcher Megan Hyson threw a no-hitter. After beating the Hoyas in both games of a double-header on Saturday, the Pirates had already clinched their spot in the Big East tournament. Sunday was a day for the Pirates to honor graduating seniors Sam DeMasi, Sara Haefeli, Jordan Moses, Whitney Jones, Danielle DeStaso, Casey Moses, and Kaylyn Sanbower. All of the seniors found their way into the game today at some point. After the game, Pirates’ head coach Paige Smith commented on the departing seniors. “They’ve put in four years of hard work and we really do believe that we let one get away [against Georgetown],” Smith said. “Regardless of people getting starting positions, we should have played better today. I think it’s important that seniors got in the game and it’s important that our starters got their reps. I only regret that we didn’t send our seniors out with a win.” Despite dropping the season finale, the Pirates’ year is not over. They will head to DePaul for the Big East tournament on Friday, May 8. Seton Hall, the No. 3 seed, will take on the No. 2 seed in DePaul. The Blue Demons won all three meetings against the Pirates this season when they faced each other back in late March.
“We feel great,” Smith said. “Everybody that’s in the tournament we’ve played competitive games with, even if we didn’t come out with a win. I’ve heard a lot of positive things about our team from other coaches.” The Pirates won seven of their last 10 games to close out the year and position themselves for the postseason. “It feels great to get back into the tournament,” Smith said. “Last year, we didn’t play our best. We had a little bit of a hangover from our success the previous year but I know missing the tournament last year made our team hungrier this year and made them work that much harder.” With Sunday’s loss, the Pirates finish the regular season with a 24-27 overall record and a 10-10 conference record, putting them at third place in the conference standings. The Big East Tournament’s first round will be next Friday, May 8 and the finals will be held one day later. All of the games are being held in Chicago, Illinois, at the reigning champion DePaul’s home field.