Pirates fall to Creighton after grabbing first inning lead

[caption id="attachment_10179" align="aligncenter" width="642"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] The Seton Hall baseball team exploded for a four-run first inning on Saturday afternoon, but ultimately fell to the Creighton Bluejays on by a score of 10-7. Pirates starting pitcher Zach Prendergast retired the first two batters of the game, but then allowed two straight walks on a total of eight pitches. The fifth batter of the game, Ryan Fitzgerald, then hit a ground rule double over the center field fence, scoring the first run of the ball game and giving Creighton a 1-0 lead through the top half of the first. The Pirates jumped all over Creighton starting pitcher Keith Rogalla, adding four runs in the bottom of the inning and sending eight batters to the plate. Seton Hall added a run in each of the next two innings. Ryan Ramiz led off the second inning with a single to center field and later stole second base, putting a runner in scoring position with no outs. Ramiz would score on a one-out RBI single by Derek Jenkins, giving the Pirates a 5-1 lead. In the third, the Pirates led off the inning with a single by Tyler Boyd, who then stole second base without a throw. Boyd came in to score on an RBI single by Joe Poduslenko with one away giving the Pirates a 6- 1 lead through three innings. Poduslenko was playing in place of D.J. Ruhlman. Prendergast ran into trouble in the top of the fourth when Harrison Crawford was hit by a pitch to lead off the inning. Crawford advanced to third on a one-out single by Landon Lucansky and later scored on a sacrifice fly by Luke Horanski, making the score 6-2 in favor of the Pirates. With two outs, Prendergast could not get anything going to retire the Bluejays and allowed three straight runners to reach base, walking in a run to make it a 6-3 game. The Pirates went to their bullpen early, with Ryan Testani coming on in relief with two outs in the top of the fourth. The Bluejays added three more runs after Testani came on to tie the game 6-6 after the top of the fourth, sending 10 batters to the plate in the inning. The Bluejays added runs in each of the next two innings giving them an 8-6 lead midway through the sixth. The Pirates got one back in the sixth thanks to two straight walks to lead off the inning which set up an RBI single by Zack Weigel, cutting the lead to 8-7. Creighton added one run in both the seventh and the ninth innings, giving the Bluejays a 10-7 lead. Zach Schellenger, who came on in the fourth, went one and two-thirds innings and picked up the loss, moving to 2-3 on the season. Zach Prendergast went three and two-thirds innings, allowing six hits and five earned runs while striking out 3 batters. He picked up a no-decision. The Pirates are back in action on Sunday when they wrap up the weekend series against Creighton at 12 p.m. at Owen T. Carroll Field. Kevin Huebler can be reached at kevin.huebler@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @Hueblerkevin.