Jones hits walk-off single to push Pirates past Hoyas

[caption id="attachment_10175" align="aligncenter" width="586"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] The Pirates won 4-3 win in Game 1 of a double header with the Georgetown Hoyas on Sunday. It was all Pirates in the beginning of the ballgame. The offense got things rolling with Alexis Walkden walking to first, followed by a hit down center field by Sara Haefli to get Walkden to third and Haefli to first. Danielle DeStaso came up next and hit a double to right to score both Walkden and Haefli, giving the Pirates a 2-0 lead. The Georgetown offense did not get rolling until the top of the fifth inning. Hannah Ramsey loaded the bases for the Hoyas off of a hit to right field. With zero outs, Peyton Lawton made it home just before Haefli could make the play. Controversy came into play later in the inning when Delaney Osterday was ruled safe at third after the Pirates thought they had her out. Osterday eventually ran home and tied the game at two. Sophomore Lauren Fischer then came in to replace DeStaso for the remainder of the inning and stayed pitching until the seventh. Controversy came into effect again in the top of the sixth inning. Georgetown managed to load the bases with two out, and as Taylor Henry hit what appeared to be the final out of the inning straight into the glove of Valerie Suto, the umpires decided that the hit was actually a foul ball, sending Henry back to bat. She managed to get a single, making the score 3-2. The Pirate offense came back in the bottom of the sixth. Haefli started off the inning with a base hit to land her on second, followed by Alex Rabbetts walking to first. A bunt by Faith Laudano loaded the bases and eventually advanced Haefli home to tie the score at 3-3. The game remained tied and went into four extra innings. The Hall had different opportunities to capitalize on hits, but could not execute until the bottom of the 11th inning. With Suto on third, Whitney Jones came in strong with a walk-off single to end the game in the Pirates’ favor, 4-3. DeStaso remained strong for the Pirates, tallying seven strikeouts. She now sits at third in total strikeouts in Seton Hall history. Olivia Mulvihill can be reached at olivia.mulvihill@shu.edu or on twitter @OliviaMulvihill.