Softball falls to St John’s 12-4 in Game Two of series

[caption id="attachment_9876" align="aligncenter" width="775"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] The Seton Hall softball team struggled throughout game two of their doubleheader today where they ultimately fell 12-4 to St. John’s. The loss now has the Pirates at 6-7 in the Big East. On the other side, St. John’s still remains the only unbeaten team in the Big East with a 10-0 record. “They executed at the plate more than we did, and when you play good teams and they execute and you don’t, this happens”, standout senior Sara Haefli said on the loss. It was all Seton Hall in the first inning. Junior Yasmin Harrell had a strong hit to right field, landing her on second base. Senior first baseman Whitney Jones was up to bat next, and hit strong enough to allow for Harrell to come home and give the Pirates their only lead of the game at 1-0. St. John’s got on the board early in the second inning with Brittany Garcia and Yvonne Rericha reaching home base. The Red Storm took the lead at 2-1. It was the same story for both teams for the remaining innings. St. John’s continued to bring runners home and Seton Hall struggled to get on base. It wasn’t until the top of the fourth inning that St. John’s got hot. With zero outs, the Red Storm was able to bring four batters home and advance their lead to 7-1. Starting pitcher for the Pirates Lauren Fischer was replaced with freshman Alannah Basille after giving up four runs. Coming into the bottom of the fourth, it was evident that the Pirates were becoming frustrated with the way the game was going. The lead had now extended to 9-1 and the Pirates came into the inning looking to change the way the game was going. Haefli got on first after hitting strong down centerfield while senior Danielle Destaso came up to bat right after to do exactly the same. With Haefli and Destaso on first and third, junior Alex Rabbetts belted down center field and brought Haefli home. Later in the inning, Basille had an RBI single to give the Pirates another run and make it a 9-3 game. In the fifth and last inning of the game, The Red Storm kept the bases loaded for a majority of the inning and advanced their lead to 12-3. At the bottom of the fifth, Haefli came in big to hit a single RBI which brought Jones home and gave the Pirates their fourth and last run of the game. Even with the losses in today’s doubleheader, Seton Hall still sits at fourth in the Big East, giving them a good chance to make a strong appearance in the Big East Tournament. “This year I’m definitely ready to go to the championship” Haefli stated. Seton Hall will conclude their series with St. Johns on Sunday. First pitch is set for noon.   Olivia Mulvihill can be reached at Olivia.mulvihill@student.shu.edu